About this blog


This is my blog on the arts scene of Carrboro, Chapel Hill and surrounding Triangle communities. I'll focus on visual arts and the 2ndFriday Artwalk and other visual art events but that doesn't mean I won't chat about music, literary events, film or anything else in the local creative world. Please email with ideas, links, comments or brickbats. [I have comment moderation on so if you don't see your comment right away that means that I haven't had a chance to approve it yet. Sorry, but the spammers.....]

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sex Pistols Baton Rouge, January 9, 1978

This post has nothing to do with Carrboro except I live here and only a tenuous relationship to art depending on your perspective.  Instead it has to do with me finding a very good recording of the 4th of 7 Sex Pistols concerts in the US, specifically January 9, 1978 in my home town Baton Rouge, LA.

I have few regrets in my life but most of them have to do with missing concerts.  The Stones in Baton Rouge performing Star F***ker with Mick jumping up and down on a giant inflatable dildo at the first show of their 1975 tour or a teenage U2 playing a little club in Chico, CA, cover charge 97¢ for example.  Well I didn't go to this show either.  What a loser.

The band is obnoxious, the crowd is worse and they rock (band and audience)!  So here's a hot and noisy version of EMI which is of course a blatant copy of Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers' Roadrunner.  The finale was Liar, the first 30 seconds or so are spent with the crowd arguing with Johnny Rotten (lots of f-bombs -- Joe Biden was in the audience and an odd fellow screaming "Bay City Rollers" over and over) before Rotten screams "Shut up!" and then they rock.  (Right click to save them to your drive.)

Full show here.

No comments: