About this blog


This is my blog on the arts scene of Carrboro, Chapel Hill and surrounding Triangle communities. I'll focus on visual arts and the 2ndFriday Artwalk and other visual art events but that doesn't mean I won't chat about music, literary events, film or anything else in the local creative world. Please email with ideas, links, comments or brickbats. [I have comment moderation on so if you don't see your comment right away that means that I haven't had a chance to approve it yet. Sorry, but the spammers.....]

Sunday, January 16, 2011

What the "and more" ultimately meant

This week I wrote about the sold out Love Language show along with other upcoming shows.  Little did I know what the "and more" would ultimately mean.

After a forgettable opening act an unnamed band came out.  Thrashing, loud 2 minute songs.  I had no idea who they were but most of the audience did.  At first I thought they were some obnoxious headbanger thrash metal band.  Then I started listening to the lyrics and music and realizing that these guys really knew what they were doing.  Only after their set was over did I figure out that they were the legendary Archers of Loaf!  (Thanks to my iPhone and Twitter.)  They broke up the year I moved here (1998) but I'd never gotten around to listening to them.  All I can say is wow.  A video (not mine) below.

So I went for The Love Language and I was not disappointed.  Going big in music involves lots of things:  talent (sometimes), luck, promotion, exposure and serendipity.  Well, I think this band has the potential.  Hooks, suitably Indie but with a real feel for Phil Spector and mid 80s Smiths.  Terrific songs and a good band having fun doesn't hurt.

First though Mumblepop's vid of the Loaf doing Wrong.



And here's my vid of The Love Language doing Brittany's Back.

No comments: